Image Map

Make Your Own Salad Muffin Tins

04 December 2011


My kids love making their own salads. Normally we put all of the add-ins in the middle of the table for everyone to share. However, inevitably someone takes too much cheese, or olives, or avocado...

Tonight I decided that combining muffin tin meals with make your own salads was the perfect solution. Everyone received their own "supplies." In the tins: chicken, cucumber, avocado, tomato, cheese, black olives.

I was fascinated watching each kid's, "eating style," as they built their salads. My daughter dumped everything in her salad all at once. This could have been because she had individual muffin cups which made this easy, but she didn't waste any time, and she has never been one for patience!


She was proud of her salad and asked me to take a picture of her finished product.


My older son acted as if he was carefully considering each ingredient, but by the time he was done, he had added every topping to the salad.

My youngest, added only a small amount of toppings at a time. He would eat a few bites of salad, and then add more toppings. He repeated this process multiple times until he ultimately ate nearly all of his salad and toppings.  Interestingly last night, I gave him a little bit of salad with dressing and he said, "I don't like salad!" 


He sure liked it tonight!

I LOVE Muffin Tin Meals! Check out more great Muffin Tin Meals, at Muffin Tin Monday!

12 comments:

  1. Still working on salad here - theirs looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to do a make-your-own-salad tray for my kids (though I have one who doesn't eat salad under any circumstances!). Sounds like yours was a big hit! Looks great and super healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea. We do a salad bar for dinner sometimes and the boys really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are working enjoying salad here too. JDaniel tends to eat around the lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! JDaniel4's Mom... it's a start... maybe someday some lettuce will "sneak" onto his fork :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant! I think it's going to be showing up at our dinner table tonight when we have taco salad. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Abby! It really simplified things rather than having everyone trying to serve themselves from all of the different bowls... It also cut down on the mess! Good luck with your taco salads :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea! I was thinking of doing something similar with taco fixings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a good idea, Audrey's mom... someone else mentioned Taco Salad... I think I"ll have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way... we had the same exact salad last night, as a "side" for our soup. It had the exact same ingredients, except that I put them all in ahead of time- no "Make Your Own," and no Muffin Tins. My older son, decided that he only wanted salad and asked for seconds. My daughter had about two bites and said that she just wasn't in a salad mood, and my 2 year old didn't touch it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...