Image Map

Food Adventure Friday Link-up: This Years' Green Feast

22 March 2012


This year, since St. Patrick's Day (and my son's 3rd birthday) was on a Saturday, my parents came out to visit us.

I planned on a feast similar to the one we had last year, however we all ventured out to Central Market to buy ingredients and ended up picking out a few extra items. We bought brussel sprouts and when we found some nitrate free turkey bacon, we decided to combine the two. We also decided to break from tradition a bit and had a few steaks (they were grass-fed and grass is green right??) My mom also talked me into adding some red (red- gasp!) pepper for dipping into the hummus.



While at the market, we ran into some neighbors and their kids were all drinking green smoothies. After seeing them, my kids NEEDED one too so we tracked down the Lancaster Juice Company and the kids had Shamrock smoothies- banana, peaches, fresh wheat grass (cut right in front of us!!) and orange juice. I guess they were good because my kids sucked them down so quickly that I didn't even get to try!

The feast was a huge success. I was a little concerned that with the addition of steak, the kids would eat fewer of the veggies. However, even though we only bought 3 small steaks for 4 adults and 3 steak loving kids, there was steak left-over after the meal!




12 comments:

  1. Love your idea of a green feast for St Pats day.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's really made St. Patrick's Day into a big deal around our house! Of course, now the other kids want their own color themed feast for their birthdays :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for inviting me to joining in. I'm following GFC. I host a Wednesday link party and I'd love for you to join in anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..your meal sounds wonderful..as does the yummy shamrock smoothie! love this whole idea!
    I am your newest follower..pls follower pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shamrock smoothie was a much different "Green Smoothie" than most of the ones I've seen or tried... I'd like to try this one too :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It really is fun! This year it was a whole day event... I loved shopping with everyone at the market and cooking the meal with my mom!

      Delete
  5. How fun! You have such a beautiful family!
    My husband would definitely agree with the steaks-are-made-of-grass-which-is-green theory! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise! My husband had been eating green all week and had said he didn't know if his system could handle any more spinach! He was very happen to have some "green" steaks :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...