Image Map

Breaking Out of the Cereal Rut- Day 3

26 October 2011


If you read, Breaking Out of the Cereal Rut-Day 2, you know that I intended for this morning's breakfast to be quiche.  Shortly after writing yesterday's post, I decided to multitask by baking the pie shells while we ate dinner.  Needless to say, I completely forgot about the shells until I smelled them, and by then it was too late.

At 10 p.m. last night, with no plan for breakfast, I got a lifesaving message from my Aunt Marie- She had a breakfast idea for me! Yeah!!  She told me that she loved oatmeal with apples, walnuts, cinnamon and honey.  That sounded like a great combination (except for the fact that I don't have any walnuts at the moment.)

Unfortunately my kids see oatmeal as just one "round" of breakfast rather than the whole thing... I needed something else.  Never fear, my aunt had another idea.  Eggs, veggies, and cheese baked in a muffin tin. I decided to use spinach, white cheddar, eggs, and ham and cooked them in a mini-muffin tin, in keeping with my theory that when serving something new, "Less is More." 

My two year old woke up early, so I let him help me make breakfast. As he happily whisked the eggs, I realized that this was the first time that I really cooked with him. At two years old, my daughter helped me cook all the time. She still often begs to help, so somehow, I just hadn't noticed that I wasn't cooking with my little guy.

He was so proud of his egg cups and proudly shared the breakfast that "he made," with his brother and sister.

Thanks to my aunt, breakfast was a big hit, everyone was full and no one asked for cereal. (Though they did ask for more "egg cups!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...