31 Days Challenge: Day 7- Choose to Make at Least One Small Change in how you Cook or Shop
07 January 2012
Day 7 is nearly over, and I am just now posting the challenge... I have been struggling with a very sick 2 year old all week. For the last 5 nights he hasn't slept more than 30 minutes at a time due to incessant coughing. This morning I took him for chest x-rays, and although I'm glad that he doesn't have pneumonia, I'm frustrated that it seems like there is nothing we can do to help the little guy!!
Today's Challenge: Check Out My Post on 10 Small Changes... and Choose at Least One.
I just posted a list of 10 small changes that you can make to improve your family's diet. Check out that post and choose to make at least one small change. You may choose to make it and not even tell your family, or you may choose to enlist their helping in choosing which changes to make.
I mentioned before that all families are different and some changes will be easier for some families than others. Some of you have also been on this journey longer and may have already made all of those changes.
Since my family has already made those changes, I have chosen to make some of my own. These are all things that I have resisted in the past but feel that I am now ready to, at least begin, to change. I won't necessarily make them all at once, but they are definitely goals of the next year. As I make these changes I will post about them in more detail.
10 Small Changes I've Chosen For My Family...
1. Transition to unprocessed sugar and more sugar alternatives (coconut sugar, Stevia.)
2. Use more coconut oil.
3. Buy dried, instead of canned, beans.
4. Try to find local farmers for buying beef.
5. Buy organic produce when I can find it and it's not significantly more expensive than conventional (this summer buy as much as possible from farmer's markets.)
6. Buy and use bread made with sprouted grains as much as possible.
7. Try cooking with grains other than wheat (or other alternative flours such as almond or coconut)
8. Make my own vanilla without sugar (can it be done without alcohol?)
9. Buy higher quality spices.
10. Buy natural food coloring.
What small changes would you like to try? Please share in the comments!