Image Map

Super Simple, Super Frugal and Simply Delicious Chicken Corn Soup - Made with Leftover Rotisserie Chicken!

08 January 2012



I never heard of chicken corn soup until I moved to Lancaster County, but it is pretty much a staple around here and I think it's a great alternative to chicken noodle soup.

My friend Elise shared with me how she makes it and it's so simple that it has become a definite favorite in my rotation. Also, because it uses rotisserie chicken, I've found that I can stretch one rotisserie chicken into 3 or 4 meals (I feel so frugal!)

Usually, when I buy the rotisserie chicken  I cut one of the breasts and toss it with Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mix and some frozen broccoli and make a "casserole." Then I cut up some of the rest of the chicken and use it for salads or quesadillas. Finally, I make soup. Usually there is enough soup for two meals and I generally freeze half.

Chicken Corn Soup

1 Rotisserie Chicken (Works best with one that has been seasoned - this will add flavor to the soup)
4-6 Carrots chopped
2-3 Stalk Celery chopped
1/2 box Orzo pasta
1 bag frozen corn
Salt to taste


1. Put Entire Rotisserie Chicken in a large pot, cover with water and boil uncovered for 3- 4 hours adding water as needed to keep Chicken covered with water. *I put the chicken in my steamer basket which makes it easier to fish everything out later.

2. Remove Chicken from pot, separate out usable pieces of chicken and cut or shred into pieces, as desired- throw away the rest of the chicken, or put it in a new pot and continue to boil for extra stock (even more frugal!!)

3. Return usable chicken to pot

2. Add chopped carrots, celery, orzo and a bag of frozen corn.

3. Simmer for another half hour to an hour (or until vegetables are tender and pasta is cooked.)

4. If necessary add salt to taste.

This could also be done with a a (not rotisserie) chicken or chicken parts, but would require something  additional to add flavor. Some suggestions for that would be adding onion, celery salt, parsley, thyme,  additional salt and pepper, or even some Italian seasoning.

How do you add flavor to your chicken soup?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear about your son's smile. I'll continue to pray for him.

    Running to the market today with my meal plan in hand. Thanks Julie!!!

    http://healthinhim.blogspot.com/2012/01/day-9-add-something-new-to-meal-plan.html

    ReplyDelete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...