Image Map

What to do When You Have Too Much Zucchini

06 August 2012


I used to tease my mom about the year that she put zucchini in EVERYTHING. Anything she made or served we would ask, "Is there zucchini in this?"

It tends to happen this time of year. If you grow zucchini yourself, your garden seems to be overflowing with the stuff. If you know someone with a garden, they are likely trying to unload some of their zucchini on you. Or, if you're like me, you just can't pass it up because it's such a good deal at the market.

Which begs the question... what to do with all this zucchini?

Zucchini is one of my absolute favorite vegetables. It's so versatile and can be served in savory or sweet dishes. One of my favorite things to do with zucchini is to make either zucchini muffins or sausage and zucchini soup. It's also a great addition to turkey burgers.

A few days ago, I wanted to make zucchini muffins, but I couldn't find the shredder attachment for the food processor. I didn't have the patience to shred 3 cups by hand so I improvised and made banana zucchini muffins using my pumpkin/ banana bread recipe. I must say, they were AMAZING!!



Banana Zucchini Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ t. baking powder
¼ t. baking soda (a very generous ¼ t.)
1/3 cup butter- melted and cooled
2 mashed ripe banans
1 cup grated zucchini
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
½ t. salt
1/2 t. vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs, add mashed banana, butter, sugar, and vanilla. Then mix in the zucchini. Combine dry ingredients and then add to the wet ingredients. Mix well.

Coat muffin tins with oil. Fill ¾ way to the top. Cook until firm (about 10-15 minutes for mini muffins and 15-20 minutes for full size.)


My other favorite thing to do with zucchini is to use it to stretch ground meet.

I try to buy high quality ground meet so I stretch it by adding a bunch of vegetables (not to mention that it makes it healthier and I think it tastes better!)

I usually chop 1 yellow onion and one zucchini. I start to brown the ground meet and as it begins to release the fat, I cook the onion and zucchini using the beef fat. (If you'd rather not, you can also drain the fat and cook the vegetables in olive oil.) I then add 1 can or approximately 1 cup of black beans.

This mix can then be used in a variety of ways. I use it in enchilada pasta or enchiladas (like the pasta except put in tortillas rather than using it to top pasta.)

I also use it in my cheesy mac,  or as a filling for tacos (or taco muffins), or a topping for taco salads using homemade taco seasoning.

To be honest... I've now used up all of my zucchini, but writing this post is making me hungry. I think I may need to go buy some more tomorrow!

Do you have too much zucchini? What do you plan to make with it?


4 comments:

  1. I made choc zucchini muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm... chocolate makes everything taste better!! Did you use chocolate chips or cocoa powder?

      Delete
  2. I learned my lesson from last year and only planted one zucchini plant this year. But I'm finding myself wishing we had a little more right now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although my kids eat almost everything they hate zucchini. I can't get enough of it. They seem to have zucchini detectors that find it even when I try to hide it. Today I successfully hid it in mousse. I mixed avocados, zucchini, banana, dates, coco powder, some water and maple syrup in the food processor.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...