Image Map

The Only French Toast Recipe You'll Ever Need + Gluten-Free Banana Bread French Toast

04 November 2013



Did you ever follow a recipe wrong, but then, it turned out so right?

That's exactly what happened with the recipes that I'm sharing today.

First up: The only french toast recipe you'll ever need.

I never really tried making french toast until we kicked cereal to the curb two years ago. I liked the idea of getting some protein from the egg and milk along with the carbs, so I really wanted to find a recipe that would work for us. Unfortunately, every recipe that I tried with whole wheat bread tasted really bland. I was starting to believe that it couldn't be done.

If you've been following me for a while, you'll know that I did, at one point post about a whole wheat french toast that really worked. However, to be honest, that was more of a muffin/ casserole and was a bit too much work for your standard, "getting the kids off to school," kind of morning.

Then, one morning, I came downstairs and my husband had made french toast. And, it tasted amazing! He told me he used a recipe for Amish French Toast from "Mr. Breakfast."

Since then, this has been my, "go to," French toast recipe… Until, one day, I realized that although I used (essentially) the same ingredients, I really wasn't following the recipe at all. The recipe said that it would yield 4-6 pieces of french toast. I was making three times that, easily! Apparently, after dipping my 4-6 pieces in the mixture, I was supposed the pour what was remaining over the top. Oops. Even without following the directions (or perhaps because of it) we still found the only basic French Toast recipe, I'll ever need.



The next recipe is for the gluten-free banana bread. I know that some of you are temped to stop reading right now. STOP. Don't do it. Even if you've never eaten, let alone, made a gluten-free baked good in your life, you should try this one.



Why? You ask. Why should you even consider making something that has exotic ingredients like coconut flour?

First off, the only "strange," ingredient you will need for this is coconut flour and it's easy to find. Bob's Red Mill makes some, so you should be able to find it at just about any grocery store (or at Amazon.) Yes, it's expensive, but you only use 1/2 cup for a whole loaf, so a little goes a long way.

Secondly, this banana bread has a ton of eggs and is really high in fiber from the coconut flour. This makes it really filling and much more of a complete breakfast than your typical muffin or sweat bread.

Adapted from: Coconut Flour "Primal," Banana Bread



So, what about the recipe I promised? Gluten Free Banana Bread French Toast? Well, that's where the other beautiful mistake comes in. I once forgot to put the honey in the Coconut Flour Banana Bread. It was ok, but definitely more savory than sweet. So… I decided to use it for french toast and the results were amazing! Simply make "The Only French Toast Recipe You'll Ever Need," only cut the recipe in half. (Or use half for the gluten-eating folks in your household and half for the gluten-free, like me!) When you dip the french toast into the milk and egg mixture, put it in quickly coat both sides and take it back out- you do not want to soak the banana bread, it is already moist enough!

Top with some maple syrup, or take it to the next level with bananas and berries!!


How do you like to top French Toast?

This post is linked up to the Pinworthy Projects Link Party and Teach Me Tuesday and Gluten Free Friday.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! The banana bread and banana bread French toast look delicious! I will have to try out your mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keitha… you really should try it, especially with bananas and berries! I think I need to go make some more right now!

      Delete
  2. That coconut flour banana bread sounds amazing! And then to use it in french toast??? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good. The hardest things about it is having ripe bananas… they always seem to get eaten before they get ripe enough. I think I may have to try the oven trick for ripening bananas on Pinterest.

      If you try the banana bread french toast, I'd love to know what you think!

      Delete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...