I've been working for several weeks to eliminate cereal from our breakfast routine. I have tried and had success with many different options for breakfast. I have tried several different french toast recipes. However, due to the fact that I was making major changes in order to up the fiber and protein, while also decreasing the sugar, none of these was very successful- until Now!!
Mini French Toast Muffins
1 cup milk
5 T pure maple syrup
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 cups whole wheat bread (I used Fiber One Honey Whole Wheat)
- Whisk eggs and then mix in milk, pure maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut bread into small cubes (with or without crust)
- Coat mini muffin cups with non-stick spray or butter.
- Fill cups with bread cubes.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread and allow it to be somewhat absorbed (you will still see liquid)
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12 minutes.
- Remove from tins and drizzle with more syrup, if desired.
*Can be made in full size muffin tins. Do not fill to the top with bread. Bake for about 18 minutes.
*Add 1/3 cup pumpkin puree and replace cinnamon with pumpkin pie spice for a "Pumpkin French Toast."
*Replace maple syrup with 1 mashed banana and a handful of raisins for a lower "sugar" version.
This post is linked to Mangia Monday, Cure for the Common Monday, and Tasty Tuesday.