Image Map

List of Cereal Alternatives

13 November 2011



After several weeks of no cereal for breakfast, I don't think we'll ever go back! It gets easier every day, but it was difficult, at the beginning, to think of what to have for breakfast.

Here's a list of things we've tried so far:

Whole wheat cinnamon toast, hardboiled egg, fruit salad.



mini corn muffin (left over from dinner), turkey sausage links, baked apples.




















Fruit Kebab, inspired by Food Corner's Strawberry Ghosts, whole wheat toast with cashew butter, plain Greek yogurt with strawberry all-fruit jelly.
Turkey Sausage, half of a piece of whole wheat toast with butter, and a smoothie made with milk, a banana, and frozen mixed fruit.







Scrambled eggs with spinach Laughing Cow cheese, and Penzey's Spices Fox Point Seasoning, a mini pumpkin muffin, and bananas with raspberries.






Whole wheat bagel thins with refried black beans (from Trader Joes), avocado and cheese.







Cashew butter, whole wheat tortilla roll-ups, turkey bacon, mixed berries.







Oatmeal with "mix-ins." (nuts, bananas, raisins, apricots)
We have also done oatmeal with berries and bananas, and oatmeal with baked cinnamon apples and honey.

*I usually serve turkey sausage with oatmeal because my kids never seem full enough with only oatmeal.
**JDaniel4's Mom has a great list of oatmeal "recipes" that kids can mix themselves.


Healthy Cookies (also served with turkey sausage and fruit)








Morning Muffin Tin with pear, banana and cashew butter sushi, Greek yogurt, nuts and raisins, watermelon.







Scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and whole wheat toast "Sunshine." Served with slices of red pear.







One morning we had to be out of the house really early, so we had lunch for breakfast. I made cashew butter and jelly sandwiches and quesadillas (with refried black beans, avocado, and cheese) the night before so that we could "grab and go."




Mini French Toast Muffins.   I've been experimenting with various french toast recipes but, despite the fact that everyone ate them, they weren't good enough to repeat. Finally, I've found a keeper!  Everyone LOVED these! I also tried this in a glass baking dish and I think it worked just as well. Just don't forget to use butter or non-stick spray and just layer the bottom of the dish with bread so that it doesn't take too long to bake.



Pumpkin and Zucchini muffins.
Served with plain Greek yogurt with pineapple added.


Whole wheat pumpkin pancakes with "choose your own" toppings.



Mini pumpkin muffins, "cheesy eggs," and fruit salad.











Muffin Tin Breakfast Buffet.



Whole Wheat Pancakes and Banana Strawberry Smoothies.











Cashew Butter Rudolph Sandwhiches, pears, clementines, spicey nuts.

































Broccoli, Cheese and Ham Quiche. (I made this in mini muffin tins for faster cooking)



What do you have for breakfast at your house? I'd love to add to this list so please share your ideas in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic list! I'm going to try to ease in one of these ideas a week. We don't eat too much cereal, but I'm looking forward to shaking things up a bit for breakfast anyways. (PS- I tweeted your link!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie! I am still behind the times and not "tweeting" yet, but it's one of my goals for the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great options! The sun is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these ideas. I'm going to have to show my son this post to give him some ideas for breakfast. He's old enough now to make most of them himself. Thanks Jule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda- sometimes I get stumped myself and I love having the list list to remind me!-- That's great that he can make his own breakfast!

      Delete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...