Image Map

Are You a Chicken?

09 January 2014



Yes, that is a turkey. I thought of the title, and was rather proud of myself for it, and then remembered that, oh yes, that's right, I'm making a turkey.

I have never made a turkey before.

My mom thinks I'm brave in the kitchen.

She is wrong.

Usually, it takes me forever to try something new. (Case in point: despite the fact that I make chicken broth all the time, I have beef bones that have been in my freezer since September… waiting to become broth. I put, "make beef broth," on my meal plan nearly every week. And nearly every week, I change my plan.)

Sunday night, I bought a frozen turkey. I put it in my refrigerator to thaw.

Today, at 3:00 p.m. I realized that I needed to make that turkey.

But I have no idea how to make a turkey and I have visions of the burnt, dry, inedible turkeys that plagued every t.v. sitcom family of my childhood.

However, my frugality (can't let this puppy go to waste) is winning out over my fear, and so, I am making a turkey.

Here's the thing. I think that nearly everyone struggles to try something new. Everyone needs some help being brave.

It's easy to look at someone else's finally without seeing all of the fear that they had to push through to get there.

What are you afraid to try?


1 comment:

  1. Good for you for tackling that turkey. How did it turn out? Every day in the kitchen is an adventure for me. My husband and son are not big vegetable fans and are quite picky about other things as well. It makes me scared to try out new recipes because I don't want to waste food or end up being the only one eating a dish and having tons of leftovers. I grew up on Hamburger Helper and "surprise" casseroles, so I did not grow up learning how to cook.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...