Image Map

Do "Good Eaters Eat Kielbasa?" Hint: It's in this week's Meal Plan!

04 June 2012


Do "Good Eaters" Eat Kielbasa?

In this house we do!

Besides the fact I'm from Pittsburgh where we love our kielbasa (pronounced Ka-bossy in the burgh) and pirogues, I have several good reasons that the kielbasa, beans and rice (or quinoa) makes an appearance two times in my meal plan for the next two weeks.

1. For a variety of reasons right now, I need meals that are quick and inexpensive- this meal fits the bill for both of those requirements.

2. My whole family LOVES this meal. EVERYONE asks for seconds.

3. While eating the kielbasa, the kids are also getting tomatoes, beans, corn and whole grains in every bite.

4. Because my kids love this meal, I could now leave out the kielbasa (for health reasons, monetary reasons, or just "I really need to get to the store" reasons) and everyone would still eat it and love it (though maybe not quite as much!)

5. Because of this meal, my kids palates are quite familiar with both chili powder and cumin, which can be used to flavor a wide variety of other meals.

6. As I've mentioned before, I called this site Teaching Good Eaters, not  Teaching Healthy Eaters, for a reason (actually for several reasons which you can read here).

So have I convinced you yet?

Here's the recipe:

Kielbasa, Beans and Rice (or Quinoa)

Ingredients

kielbasa (I prefer all beef)
3-4 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
1 1/2 cups corn (frozen or fresh)
*1 1/2 cups can diced (or petite diced for kids (or adults) who may not like large chunks of tomato
1 1/2 cups kidney beans
1 T chili powder
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder

*This can be made without tomatoes, I am allergic to tomatoes (and rice) so the tomato-free, rice-free version is mine (and I love it!)

Cut kielbasa into round slices and then cut the round slices in half. Put in large sauté pan with no oil and cook over medium heat until they are very lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated and well combined. 

And that, my friends is one of the reasons I LOVE this recipe!! So quick and easy that you won't even need a recipe the next time you make it!

And now... my meal plan for the next 2 weeks!

Dinners only this time...

Kielbasa, Beans and Rice (x2)

Cous Cous Salad (Cooked Cous Cous, Cooked Chicken, Artichoke Hearts, Tomatoes, Mozzerella cheese chunks, cucumber, and Italian Dressing)


Garlic Lime Chicken (FYI I don't use the butter, only coat the pan with oil and I only rub a bit of the spices on each side of the chicken- don't feel the need to use it all!), Rice or Quinoa, The "Best" Broccoli


Cornbread Taco Casserole (Will post the recipe after I make it!)

Enchilada Pasta (If I have it, I will add ground meat and zucchini to this)


Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Tomato and Mushroom Soup (From a fancy kit someone gave us)

In addition to the meal plan link-ups at Org Junkie and Good Cheap Eats, I'll be linking this up to the Summer Recipe Swap  at Making Lemonade (one of my favorite blogs where I just happen to be guest posting - I'm sharing my best tips for getting toddlers to eat- you don't want to miss it!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your questions, comments, and suggestions so that we can all learn from each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...